Monday, February 25, 2013

Chicken Stock - Meow

 
 
 
 
                                                                "Kitty in the Basket."  I am not sure when this song was written - by Bob Merrill - but it became better known to the public at large in 1954 when it was sung by Diana Decker
                                                              

The song became known to my sister and I when my mother used to sing it to us.  We used to have a calico cat that had been a stray.  My family now has a calico and our kitty has a runny nose.  Kitty, runny nose, snow storm, song lyrics:

                                         Wrap the kitty warm, you never know about a storm
                                          And I don't want a little kitty with the sneazies,
                                          I'll hug her and I'll squeaze her, and never never tease her
                                          Want a little kitty in the basket. 

Introduce chicken stock.


 I truly believe there is something medicinal in made at home chicken stock, and our kitty needs some!  I did one version safe for her, and one version for us. 

Ingredients and how to for two-leggeds:

Large stock pot
1 onion- quartered
4 cloves garlic- smashed
4 carrots
2 celery sticks or even better is the celery leafy center
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 bay leaf
black pepper
10 cups of water
4 organic chicken legs
                 Leave skins on the vegetables. 

Place all ingredients into stock pot.  Place on stove, bring to boil, then simmer for 2 hours. 
 
After two hours, let stock cool (near) completely in pot. Even placing in frige over night is fine.
 
When broth is cool, strain through a collander into another container. 
 
 
This is so easy to do and much healthier than the store bought brands.  I know nearly every cooking show I watch just pops open a box or can of stock. That is easy, but I don't feel it's as beneficial to our health. One popular store brand lists cane sugar in the ingredients.  Onion powder.  "Chicken flavor".  What is that all about?! Yeast.  Anyway - you just need simple chicken stock.
 
Now, for chicken stock for pets, do not use the above version.  Animals can NOT have onions or garlic.  To make the kitty version today I used two organic chicken legs, 6 cups of water and a large saucepan.  Everything else I did the same.  And animals can eat the cooked chicken.  It's far to mushy for something that we would enjoy. 
 
 
 
Setting outside to freeze to use later.
 
 
                     If there's someone in the city doesn't want a little kitty
                     Tell them put the little kitty in a basket
                     Leave the little basket outside my door
                     And I'll love the little kitty for evermore!

                                                             ... don't want a little kitty with the sneazies ~




No comments:

Post a Comment